Know What You Have in Your Data Center, What You Need and How to Optimize the Use of Resources
Data centers are at the heart of today’s information economy. They are the control centers that keep information flowing throughout the enterprise. Having the right processes, tools and methodologies to accurately manage capacity is critical for staying competitive in today’s on-demand digital world.
For an organization to effectively use information, it relies on a vast and expanding array of IT services. These services are controlled by data center facilities. Today’s digitally transforming economy places new requirements on data centers, which must keep up with different types and increased volume of workloads.
The goal is to achieve a required degree of optimization. This is only possible when processes for routinely reviewing, analyzing and planning capacity within the data center are in place. Any analysis of infrastructure should have a lens for both current and future computing requirements, and be inclusive of core computing resources, power and cooling resources, and overall data center floor space. When these components are collectively evaluated, more informed decisions can be made and enterprises can focus on the key issues: how to integrate and capitalize on the combination of today’s data center resources, and where they should invest in the future.
Data Center Capacity Management supports centralized management of data center capacity planning, design and implementation. Solution components cover all relevant features for facility, IT and data center management teams to optimize the use of all their resources and facilitate day to day activities. Additionally, knowing about all resources is valuable for management in order to make decisions based on reliable and accurate data.
Three Solution Levels
One size does not fit all, especially when it comes to software. The solution is available in three versions of progressively increasing functionality. Choose the level of support that best suits your needs. Change your selection as your needs change.
Visualize and analyze floor space usage, floor design, weight load, rack space and energy usage to help keep space, power, cooling, and consumption under control for all on-premise sites and colocation space, including virtual assets.
- Guarantee that computing resources, power load, white space footprint and cooling capacity will be able to meet the workload demands of users and clients
- Maximize existing resources and increase density
- Compare actual consumption to plan and analyze growth over time
- Compare capacity usage and requirements to estimate reliable need projections.
- Variables used in calculations include:
- Historical growth rates
- Granular forecasts
- Actual planned changes
- Scenario planning
- Reduce energy cost
- Increase energy efficiency
- Reduce carbon footprint
- Comply with Green IT and similar regulations
- Reduce overprovisioning of resources while guaranteeing safe operational conditions and tier level resilience
- Identify unused capacities and potential capacity issues in the data center
- Analyze actual capacity used to determine need for consolidation project or greenfield build
- Proactive planning with tool-assisted maintenance of safe operating conditions
- Set up greenfield sites
- Consolidate resource for moves from legacy to greenfield or colocation
- Maintain optimum operational environment conditions in white space areas
- Use analytical reporting features of 2D and 3D footprint views to plan and optimize space usage
- Consistent documentation and planning
- Integrated workflow capabilities facilitate daily routine tasks
- Full transparency across resources
- Improved efficiency in day-to-day operations supported by end-to-end signal tracing
- Reduced fault repair time resulting in greater customer satisfaction
- Optimized costs and process times
- Reduced OPEX
- Better management of infrastructure capacities and available resources
- Reduction of CAPEX
- Track key performance indicators (KPIs), including historical changes
- Share meaningful status and performance data with users and clients
- Powerful analytics features and graphical evaluations support better understanding of all capacity utilization and growth
- Supply needed information to all types of users